Every woman loves to paint their nails in different colors and rock them. Long nails undoubtedly look feminine and increase the beauty of hands. Unfortunately, not everyone is blessed with strong and long nails. There are so many conditions that cause weak, brittle nails that don’t let nails grow longer.
Reasons behind soft and weak nails
Weak nails are not always genetic. Mostly it’s weak because of improper care, lack of vitamins and food that are helpful in strong nail growth. Below are the reasons why your nails are soft and weak.
1. Low calcium in body
2. Usage of cheap nail colors
3. Not taking proper care of nails
4. Usage of acetone
5. Using nails as tools
6. Iron deficiency
How to take care of weak nails at home
Proper care is very important in order to achieve those beautiful nails. There are few things that needs to be kept in mind and they are:
1. Limit nail exposure to water: Water exposure to nails again and again makes them brittle and weak. Wearing rubber glove while doing work that includes water exposure would help a lot as they will help in keeping your hands dry.
2. File your nails regularly: Filing your nails on regular basis would help a lot in keeping your nails in shape and would remove rough edges around nails that can cause damage to them.
3. Use good quality nail color: Using cheap quality nails colors make them chip off and it also degrades the quality of your natural nails.
4. Don’t use acetone: Using acetone on your nails strips away the natural shine and oil of your nails and is very harsh for them. It dries out your nails and skin around the nails so it’s not good for your nails at all. Try using removers which are oil based that will help in nourishing your cuticles and maintaining the natural shine.
5. Apply base coat to your nails: Base coat application on nails is very important as it helps in creating a protective layer which allows them to be strong and less prone to damage. Base coat application also helps in nails from not getting yellow.
6. Apply cuticle oil: Cuticle oil is very helpful in promoting nail growth. Massaging cuticle oil on cuticles stimulates new nail growth and makes them strong.
Vitamins and food for strong nail growth
Achieving strong nails is not a one night job. You need to show proper dedication to make them grow stronger and longer. There are so many vitamins that you might be lacking which cause weak nails. Even when you daily food isn’t fulfilling and healthy it causes your nails go weak. To prevent this, you should take vitamins and foods that will help in growth of your nails.
1. Vitamin H (Biotin)
Biotin is a great supplement for your nails.It helps in growth of your nails and makes them strong. It is not just helpful for your nails; it also promotes hair growth and glowing skin.
2. Vitamin C
Vitamin C is great for strengthening nails.It aids in collagen formation and also promotes nail growth.
3. Vitamin D
Vitamin D or commonly known as Calcium is very important for bones and nails development. Lack of vitamin D makes bones and nails weak. Milk, cheese, egg yolk are sources of vitamin D which helps in growth of nails.
4. Folic acid
Leafy green vegetables like spinach, breads,cereals, beans etc. are high in folic acid. It helps in strengthening the nail tissues and makes them stronger and longer.
Broccoli has high amino acid and iron which is very helpful providing healthy and strong nails.
Almonds are known for their benefits for hair and skin. Being a rich source of magnesium, Almonds are equally great for your nails.
Salmon is a very good source of Biotin and consuming salmon will help you a lot in growing strong and long nails.
Natural remedies for nail growth at home
There is nothing in this world that cannot be done if you put your efforts into it. Same goes for your nails as well. Following proper home remedies for your nails can help quite a lot in their growth and in making them stronger. Below are few remedies that will help in growth of your nails.
1. Almond oil is great for cracked and brittle nails. It helps in strengthening the nails and maintains the natural shine of nails. Take half tbsp. of almond oil and massage your cuticles for 5-10 minutes then leave it overnight. Following this process regularly will help a lot.
2. Take half slice of lemon and mix it with 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Dip your nails in this for 10 minutes and massage your cuticles. Vitamin C in lemon and Moisturizing properties of olive oil helps in nourishment of nails thus promotes the growth.
3. Castor oil is great oil for nail growth. Massaging nails with castor oil helps in strengthening the nails and makes them grow fast.
4. Tomato is high in biotin thus it’s needless to say how good it is for nails. Take a slice of tomato and rub it on your nails for 10 minutes. Wash your nails with warm water and let them dry properly. After that apply a good hand moisturizer.
5. Coconut oil is great for blood circulation thus it is really helpful in nail growth. Dip your nails in Luke warm coconut oil and massage your nails for 5 minutes and leave it overnight. Using this method regularly will help you get long nails in no time.